Search This Blog

Saturday, August 15, 2020

Butternut Squash with Cashew Gravy

 I haven't been inspired recently to create recipes or new music......strange, but since lock down I've felt very un-creative.  Anyway, we've been out of lock down for some time now and it seems my creativity is returning, thankfully.

I've been growing lots of food and have for the first time managed to grow what is called here aborbora and in English that means winter squash, so a big round squash that is called a muscadet and also butternut squash.  I'm so happy to have managed to grow them this year, as my attempts before didn't work.  This year I gave them rabbit poo and they seemed to like that a grew well for me.

So today, I woke up inspired to make an interesting squash recipe.  Hence the above title.  It's really easy and fast.

BUTTERNUT SQUASH WITH CASHEW GRAVY


1 winter squash peeled and cubed

1 medium onion chopped

1 tablespoon ghee, butter or olive oil (I prefer ghee)

4 medium tomatoes chopped

1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste

1 1/4 inch cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds

2 cardamom pods

1/2 teaspoon turmeric

1 teaspoon cumin

1 teaspoon coriander

1/2 teaspoon chili powder (to your taste)

1 tablespoon ground cashew nuts

a little water

First put the squash in the oven to cook for about 20 minutes on 350 degrees.

While the squash is cooking prepare the cashew gravy.  Place ghee in pan and add the cinnamon, cumin seeds and cardamom pods, sautee for a minute or so.  Then add the chopped onion.  Sautee for about 5 minutes, then add the chopped tomatoes, stir well and sautee for another 5 minutes.  Then add the turmeric, cumin, coriander and chili powder.  Cook for a couple of minutes, add a little water and add the cashew powder and mix well.

Remove the squash from oven.  Place in a bowl and cover with the cashew gravy.



No comments:

Post a Comment