Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Sugar free Courgette/Zuchinni Bread

Hey Everyone,  I have decided that after being sick for ten days and not eating anything for five days that I need to quit sugar.  What I noticed after not eating for five days was that I could put rings on my fingers that I couldn't wear for at least a year because the joints in my fingers were slightly swollen, but after not eating for 5 days I could get them on and off really easily.  This showed me that sugar was creating inflammation in my body,  which most of us probably already know, however, having first hand experience was very interesting and inspiring.
I have decided to create some sugar free breads (that would normally use lots of sugar).  I had read that using apple sauce was a good substitute for sugar.    So I made some apple sauce and went for it!  So I have to say that I was very pleased with the result.  So here is my recipe for sugar free courgette bread.


3/4 cup (175ml) oil (I used olive oil but you can use melted butter also)

1 cup (250 grams) apple sauce

2 tablespoons maple syrup, honey or brown rice syrup

2 eggs

1 large courgette/zuchinni grated

1 1/2 cups walnuts chopped

3 cups wholewheat flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon baking powder

Set the oven to 160C or 325 degrees, oil two loaf pans and set aside.  Place the oil, apple sauce, maple syrup in food processor and blend.  Add the eggs, blend again then add the courgette and walnuts , blend again briefly, then mix the flour and baking soda and powder together in a separate bowl, then add to the mixture in the food processor and pulse a few times.  When its all well combined place half the mixture in oiled loaf pan and the other half in another oiled loaf pan.  Cook for about 30 minutes.  It may take longer.  Mine took 30 minutes, but my oven seems to cook things faster than most.  So yours might take a little longer.  Enjoy!!!  I was very happy with how it turned out and really didn't miss the sweetness as it was a little sweet and that worked just fine for me and my man.....he loved it!!

Here are some of the nutrients contained in zuchinni/courgettes. Zuchinni/courgette is rich in minerals and vitamins.  It is very high in potassium and phosphorus.  It also contains good amounts of magnesium (which many people are deficient in).  Courgette/zuchinni also contain plenty of calcium, vitamin C and fiber and the vitamins B6, A, E and K, sodium, zinc and iron.  So you can see its quite a powerhouse of nutrients and also tasted great.



No comments:

Post a Comment