Search This Blog

Saturday, January 9, 2010

New Year Revisited

Well I know I said in my last blog that I was feeling vegetarian............well that was last week!! This week I'm still feeling quite vegetarian, but not totally. I have to admit that I cooked a chicken dish for a friend last night and ended up eating chicken for dinner and I must say it was very delicious.
I guess really what I have to say is everything in moderation - whatever it is.
Anway here is a recipe for amazing brown and wild rice that I created last night

Brown and Wild Rice with Red and Golden Beets and Shiitake Mushrooms

1 small red beet
1 small golden beet
1 1/2 cups brown and wild rice blend (soaked overnight)
1 small handful cashew nuts
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 small onion red or yellow
6 medium shiitake mushrooms
1 jalapeno or serrano pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Peel and cube the beets and toss them in olive oil and roast for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
Cook the rice as usual - 2 cups water or stock for 1 cup rice and add in the cashews before cooking.
Set rice aside once cooked.
In a medium skillet heat the coconut oil and add in the onions and cook for 3 - 5 minutes then add the shiitakes and jalapeno or serrano. Sautee for another 5 minutes and then add to the rice. Also add the red and golden beets. Mix together well and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment