Search This Blog

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Broccoli Greens

I am wondering why you cannot buy broccoli greens in the supermarket. They must be extremely nutritious - they certainly taste really good. So today I'm going to give you a very simple recipe for broccoli greens which if you are not growing your own you will probably not have access to, so you can substitute collard greens or even kale. I am lucky enough to have a backyard garden where I am growing many divine greens, including broccoli which has very large leaves very similar to collards. I have also just received a cutting from a collard tree. Collard trees are very long lived and grow into small trees. I am very excited to see how my tree turns out.
Anyway here is a very simple recipe for any leafy green.

Sauteed Broccoli Greens

8 Broccoli leaves washed and chopped into thin slices (1 bunch collards or kale can be substituted)
1 tablespoon unrefined coconut oil
1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
1 tablespoon chopped raisins

Heat a large high sided skillet and add the coconut oil. When the coconut oil is melted add the greens and stir briefly till they are coated with the oil. Cover and cook for 2 - 4 minutes and then add the walnuts and raisins. Serve with your choice of protein.

So I did a bit of research and I found out that Broccoli Greens are very high in vitamin A, C and folate. They also contain calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and potassium. Collards are infact even more of a nutritional powerhouse, containing very large amounts of vitamin K, A and C. They also contain large amounts of calcium, manganese and folate. So what ever greens you choose, they are all very good for you and you can eat as much as you want of these wonderful greens.

No comments:

Post a Comment