Search This Blog

Saturday, March 25, 2017

Apple Strawberry Almond Walnut Molasses Porridge

I made this one today and it turned out really well.  I am on my second day of no dairy. I almost caved in this morning and ate toast with butter, but luckily, the bread was old, so I threw it away and made myself basmati rice with eggs and chilies.  I think I will be able to not cave in tomorrow morning because now I know I can have rice and eggs and that tastes really good, I just have to adjust my mind to eating differently. Of course my wheat intake will go down with no toast, as toast without butter is just not the same.  Usually I eat one or 2 pieces of toast with butter and sometimes marmalade and sometimes cheese, but always lots of butter!  This is a big change for me, so my first breakfast today was the rice and eggs at around 7 am and then at around 1.30 pm I made my second breakfast.  I forgot to photograph it today, so will add one the next time I make it, which will probably be tomorrow.

This is what I made for my second breakfast today.

APPLE STRAWBERRY ALMOND WALNUT MOLASSES PORRIDGE

1.5 cups oats of your choice soaked overnight

1 small apple quartered and cored

4 large strawberries cut in half

3 tablespoons almonds

3 tablespoons walnuts

1 or 2 tablespoons molasses

Drain and rinse the oats, make sure you rinse thoroughly. Place in a pan with enough water to cover the oats by 1/8 inch or a little more.  Bring to boil and simmer for 5 minutes or until water has evaporated, if it gets too thick add a little more water.  While the oats are cooking place the nuts in the food processor and blend into small pieces, then add the apple and strawberry.  Pulse it all together so that the apple is in small pieces and the strawberry is blended into everything.  Add this to the porridge when the porridge is finished cooking.  Then add the molasses, stir it in really well and then serve with cashew milk, or milk of your choice.

Molasses is very high in many minerals including calcium,potassium, magnesium, manganese, copper, phosphorus, chromium, cobalt and sodium.  It also contains B6, riboflavin, niacin and thiamin.  Molasses also contains anti-oxidants, polyphenols and iron.  Using molasses in porridge instead of sugar is a great switch.

No comments:

Post a Comment